Published on: 23-Apr-2020
About the Healthy Lungs Program:
The Healthy Lungs program focuses on improving lung & respiratory capacity. This program is individualized and can be delivered in either the clinic, home, or via Telehealth. Whether you’re recovering from COVID-19, post-hospitalization, or following stay-at-home quarantine recovery from any form of the illness, this program is catered to your needs. We want to help with the following:
- Progressive pulmonary recovery through our breathing program
- Improve your muscle function, joint flexibility, and strengthening
- Cardiopulmonary tolerance programming
- Provide an education and breathing strategies to clear airway
- Progressive balance and mobility recovery
- Return to work, leisure, and daily activities
What does the Healthy Lungs Program treat?
The healthy lungs program helps with a variety of issues, including:
- Respiratory issues: airway clearance, breathing mechanics and restoring full lung capacity
- Post-hospitalization issues from prolonged immobility
- Generalized weakness and impaired mobility
- Exacerbation of other medical co-morbidities
- New problems related to pain, joint stiffness, and other musculoskeletal issues
The Alter G Difference
Many clinics in the Ivy Rehab Network use the AlterG® Anti Gravity Treadmill®. Unlike other treadmill systems, this new system allows users to exercise comfortably and freely without the restriction of a harness and uses the air pressure to create a safe environment to prevent further damage and injuries in case of a fall. Walking at a reduced weight percentage allows you to go longer and faster than you would at your actual body weight percentage. This can lead to significant improvements from a training and cardiovascular standpoint.
How soon can I get treatment?
To be treated in the clinic or home, the patient must have medical clearance according to CDC guidelines:
- Minimum of 72 hrs since the resolution of fever
- Improvement in respiratory symptoms (shortness of breath and cough)
- Minimum of 7 days since the first symptoms appeared
- Note: Telehealth visits can begin as soon as possible.
Early intervention is important! We are here to treat the COVID-19 recovery when and where patients need us most.
Physical Therapy for Healthy Lungs
If you are hoping to increase your respiratory capacity, contact your nearest Ivy Rehab Network clinic for an evaluation. Our friendly and skilled therapists offer a variety of therapy options to help patients reach their goals and continue their favorite activities.