Brian Cole, MD, MBASports Medicine, Cartilage Restoration Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Brian Cole is an orthopedic sports medicine surgeon at Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush and a Professor of Orthopaedics, Anatomy and Cell Biology at Rush University Medical Center. Dr. Cole is Managing Partner of Midwest Orthopaedics and is the Department’s Associate Chairman and the Section Head of the Cartilage Research and Restoration Center.
He is the Chairman of Surgery at Rush Oak Park Hospital and leads the Rush Orthopedic Master’s Program. Dr. Cole was the 2020 President of the Arthroscopy Association of North America. Dr. Cole also holds several other leadership positions in national and international orthopedic societies.
Honors awarded to Dr. Cole range from the “Best Doctors in America” since 2004 and “Top Doctor” in Chicagoland since 2003. In 2006, he was featured on the cover of Chicago Magazine as “Chicago’s Top Doctor.” In 2009, he was selected as NBA Team Physician of the Year and Orthopedics This Week has named Dr. Cole as one of the top 20 sports medicine, knee and shoulder specialists repeatedly over the last 5 years as selected by his peers. Dr. Cole’s patients describe his practice as compassionate, available and willing to offer novel solutions to avoid surgery whenever possible. Testimonials to the surgical care that Dr. Cole’s team provides are frequently featured and shared.
Dr. Cole’s research interests include Cartilage Restoration, OrthoBiologics, and minimally invasive surgical techniques for the treatment of the knee, elbow, and shoulder. He has published more than 1,000 articles and 8 textbooks on orthopedic surgery and sports medicine, has lectured nationally and internationally on more than 2,000 occasions and has appeared as an expert on several TV documentaries.
He received an MD and MBA from the University of Chicago, completed his orthopedic residency at the Hospital for Special Surgery at Cornell Medical Center, and a Sports Medicine fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh. His professional career outside of academia includes serving as team physician for the Chicago Bulls, co-team physician for the Chicago White Sox, and a team physician for the Chicago Fire, Chicago Dogs, and DePaul University. He has served as co-host for 10 years on the radio talk-show Sports Medicine Weekly originally on ESPN and currently on 670TheScore – Chicago Sports Radio.
Click here to download the complete profile of Brian J. Cole, MD, MBA
- Sparing the Scalpel: A Surgeon’s Perspective on the Future of Orthopedics | Brian Cole | TEDxRushU
- SurgeonAgent Interview: Dr. Cole’s Medical Journey
- A Surgeon’s Intuition…Listen Before You Operate
- Dr. Cole on medical decision-making and treating patients
- Dr. Cole’s philosophy on the indications for surgery
- Dr. Cole discuses the value of medical imaging and technology
- Treating athletes, getting second opinions, and how to decide when to treat a conditionAudioMost Popular
ESPN Radio Interview:
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Arthroscopic shoulder stabilization
- Meniscal allograft transplantation
- Cartilage cell transplantation
- Fresh osteochondral allograft transplantation
- Shoulder replacement
- Cartilage transplantation
- Rotator cuff healing
- Shoulder instability
1611 W. Harrison St.
Chicago, IL 60612
610 S. Maple Ave
Oak Park, IL 60304
Complimentary valet parking
2011 York Rd
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Complimentary valet parking